Monday, June 27, 2011

USA Letters

I wanted to add something festive to my new entry way mirror and thought this would be the perfect touch.  I love the way the letters turned out.  I think they look great sitting on the shelf of the mirror and really stand out against the black.
 You will need:
Wooden Letters- I got mine at Michael's
spray paint
scrapbook paper
pencil
scissors
Mod Podge
sponge paint brush
 I started by laying the letters out on newspaper.  I only wanted to paint the back and sides so I laid them with the fronts facing down.
 After the paint was dry I traced them on the back of scrapbook paper.  To figure out which way to trace it, I placed the paper on the letter the way I wanted it to look then flipped it over to trace.
 I cut out the letters and stuck them on using Mod Podge.  I did this by painting a thin layer to the front of the letter and pressing the scrapbook paper cutout on top.  Make sure you rub your finger over it to get all the air bubbles out.
 It took a bit to get the letter straight so just go slow to make sure it is all lined up.
 I let it dry for a few hours.
 Once the letter was dry I painted over the whole thing with Mod Podge to seal it and make it shiny.  The Mod Podge goes on white but will dry clear so you don't have to worry about painting it on perfectly.
It only took me an hour total, not including drying time, to complete these letters.  I love how they turned out and plan to make more for other holidays.

6 comments:

maddy said...

This is simply a very good collection..Love your work!

Letters

The Idea Girl said...

I love patriotic decor and I love mod podge letters! Why have I not thought of this?
Jessica
http://thatgivesmeanidea.blogspot.com

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

Very cute! :) Following from Not Just a Housewife. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog. The most view link will receive a set of fancy rectangle chalkboard labels from my etsy shop. Hope to see you there.

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

Tracy said...

HI there -- I found your project through the linky party at Today's Creative Blog. I'll be including it in my Sunday Share post on my blog tomorrow 7/3 so stop by and check it out and I hope you'll consider grabbing the Featured Me! Button for your blog.
Happy 4th of July -
Tracy

Craft Junkie Too

Julia T. said...

where did you get your entryway mirror?

Jen said...

I found it at a yard sale. It was really dirty and scratched up so I repainted it and took out the little side mirrors and added pictures.