Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Homemade Mac n Cheese

My friend Claire used to have a cookbook hanging on her wall that had this mac n cheese on the front cover. Every time I would go to her house I would drool over the thought of this mac n cheese. I love anything with cheese in, on or anywhere near it. Finally after several visits I broke down and asked for the recipe. It has since become a family favorite and a standby to take to potlucks.
Homemade Mac n Cheese
Ingredients:
4 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
3/4 cup fat free sour cream
1/2 cup fat free milk
2 Tbsp grated fresh onion
1 1/2 tsp margarine-melted
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 egg, beaten
Topping:
1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp margarine-melted
1/4 tsp paprika
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine first 10 ingredients. Stir well. Spoon into a shallow 2 qt casserole coated with cooking spray.
3. Combine breadcrumbs, 1 Tbsp margarine and paprika. Stir well. 4. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over casserole. 5. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes or until breadcrumbs are lightly browned.
I am linking this recipe to Tasty Tuesday and What's on your Plate!

1 comment:

Flamingo said...

all i can say is....yum! I will definitely give this a try! thanks for sharing!!