Thursday, January 27, 2011

Birthday Cakes

With my boys birthdays right around the corner I decided to look back through past birthday parties for ideas on what to do for their cake or cupcakes. Man, this brought back memories.
The first big birthday party I threw was for my oldest sons 2nd birthday. We decided on a bug hunt theme and held it in our back yard. I was bound and determined to make everything myself even though I had never decorated anything in my life. I worked for several days making bugs out of tootsie rolls and gummy fruit. I also made bug cookies and dirt cups. For the dirt cups I put a frosted cupcake inside a flower pot and covered it with crushed up Oreo's and a gummy worm.
The morning of the party my son decided he wanted a closer taste look at the cupcakes and pulled them off the counter. Talk about stressful. Luckily my husband rushed over to the store and they made him up a batch right there on the spot. The second party I made a cake for was my sons 4th birthday. We held it at a play place so all I had to do was make the cake. It was fun and he was super excited about it.
For my youngest son's first birthday we threw him a Rubber Ducky themed party. I had found a duck cake pan at a yard sale for $1 the summer before so was excited to test it out. It took a lot of time but I love the way it turned out.
This year I am working on Robot cupcakes (he also requested a sundae bar) and a Monster cake. I am very excited to see what I come up with and how it turns out.

1 comment:

Darren Demers said...

The first big birthday party I threw was for my oldest sons 2nd birthday. We decided on a bug hunt theme and held it in our back yard. I was bound and determined to make everything myself even though I had never decorated anything in my life. cotton gadda for bed , heavy winter blankets , double bed razai online , sofa covers near me , velvet bedsheet I worked for several days making bugs out of tootsie rolls and gummy fruit. I also made bug cookies and dirt cups. For the dirt cups I put a frosted cupcake inside a flower pot and covered it with crushed up Oreo's and a gummy worm.