Monday, July 18, 2011

How to freeze bell peppers

I recently received these bell peppers in our CSA (community supported agriculture) basket.  I didn't have the need for them in my weekly meal plan so I decided to freeze them to use at a later date.

Start by washing and drying the peppers.
 Cut the peppers in half and take out the seeds and stems.
 Bring a pot of water to a boil and boil the peppers for three minutes.
 Place peppers in a bowl of ice water for three minutes to cool them quickly.
 I am going to use them for fajitas so I cut them into slices.  You can also leave them in halves. Place the peppers on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer for a couple hours to flash freeze.  Make sure they are laid out so they won't stick together.
 After a couple hours take them out and put them in freezer bags.  Suck out as much of the air as you can using a straw.  Label the baggies with the date and place in freezer.
When you are ready to use them just pull out the amount you need and thaw.

Linking up to Tasty Tuesday and What's on your Plate!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I don't have any ripe peppers yet, but this is exactly what I plan to do!