Sunday, July 17, 2011

Serving Tray Redo

My mom purchased this serving tray at a yard sale recently for a dollar.  While she liked the style of the tray, she didn't like the color and how scratched up it was.  I offered to fix it up for her.  I decided to repaint it and line it with scrapbook paper.
 Once the piece was clean and dry I painted it with two coats of primer.
 Before I painted a final coat I figured out the placement and measurements of the scrapbook paper.
 I used my paper cutter to cut the paper to size.
 I painted two coats of satin black spray paint.  I didn't bother with the middle since it would be covered with paper.
 The size of the tray is longer then standard scrapbook paper so I had to use two sheets.  I painted on Mod Podge and laid the paper down.
 I smoothed the paper out to make sure to get all the air bubbles out.
 I let the piece dry for a couple hours then spread on a thick layer of Mod Podge over the top.  It goes on white but will dry clear.
 I think it looks great in my moms new kitchen.  I just wish I had one for myself.

No comments: